Monday, November 17, 2008

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures




I would be hard pressed to find an album as perfect as Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. From the opening of "Disorder" through to "I Remember Nothing" it stands as one of the most emotional, dark albums of our times. It is layered with Ian Curtis' beautiful and dreary lyrics. You can almost feel his abandonement of hope. This melds perfectly with the outstanding basslines from bassist Peter Hook. Despite the more uptempo numbers, you are still left with this sense of sublime pain.
As I tasted the 2005 Turkey Flat Shiraz the other day, "New Dawn Fades" almost instantly came to mind. This wine was a dark, inky purple color and as dense a wine as I've tasted. A whiff of chocolate and dark berry fruit on the nose tried to prepare you for the experience to come. Black cherry flavors hit you first as it settles into a velvety softness with subtle hints of spice lingering. A wine this deep and complex is the only thing I could think of drinking while "Candidate" plays.
Just as the emotion builds every time I listen to this album, the same can be said of this Shiraz while drinking it. Both will continue to reward you over time.
Next time I'll turn the lights back on and try to lighten the hell up. What's with this serious business. Hey, at least there were no suicide jokes. Next time.
chris

No comments: